If you are looking to install a new lawn or for putting sod in your yard in Utah here are a few helpful hints.
- We recommend that you level and even the ground and bring in . This helps your lawn thrive and can help the roots grow strong and healthy. Having an even lawn is enjoyable and this step helps with the removal of rocks and other debris that can cause less enjoyment of the yard.
- When you are ready to install your new lawn we recommend lightly sprinkling water on the dirt. This provides a cool environment for the new sod to take root.
- After laying the sod we recommend using a lot of water and keeping the sod wet. Staying off the lawn until it has time to root is also important.
- Water the lawn 2 – 3 times a day during the warmest part of the day. Frequent watering cycles are best with 10 – 20 minutes per session.
- After the first couple of weeks, we recommend keeping the new lawn moist.
- Make sure to adjust sprinkler times during the sod installation process to water the lawn frequently at first and then less frequently once it has established.
How to get ready for new sod:
A new layer of sod can give your land a uniform and attractive look, or create instantly a green lawn for a newly built property. We recommend taking the following steps:
- Remove all weeds and existing grass
- Prepare the soil by tilling – make sure to evaluate the slope of your land and take steps to regrade if necessary for ideal drainage. Remember to grade away from your home.
- Fertilize the ground area. A healthy lawn needs supplemental fertilization before a layer of sod is put down.
- Water the fresh sod frequently and deeply. Once your sod has been delivered and installed, the care doesn’t stop. It’s vital to start watering immediately and to really soak it and keep it extremely wet right at the beginning. You really can’t overwater during the first few weeks. Once that “new” time has passed, regular watering and fertilizing routine keeps your sod bright, lush and healthy. A sprinkler system may be even more effective at keeping your lawn beautiful.
For additional information on new sod and lawn installation steps click here.
For various varieties of sod in Utah and questions about sod and sod for your landscaping needs give Sod King a call today. We offer sod installation, sod pickup and also carry a variety of mulch products and offer sod installation and mulch installation. We have many pickup locations throughout the Wasatch Front including Lehi, Salt Lake City, South Jordan, Farmington and more.
For sod prices, sod in Utah, additional information on sod and what would be the best sod variety for your yard give Sod King a call or text us at 801-203-3035.